Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Econ major, Finance minor and job hunting in my 40s?

I'm currently in a job I hate, yet pays very well. I've went back to school to look for something else in 5-10 years. At age 45 I will have 25 years logged in to my current job. I would be eligible to draw my retirement by age 50. So at 50 I would have this pension coming to me on top of working a job I love.





If I majored in Econ and minored in finance are there any decent jobs available for a 45 yr old with a BA in Econ/finance? Would my age be a factor on whether or not someone would be willing to hire me? I'm willing to take a paycut to find a job I love. Just not a huge paycut although pay wouldn't be as much of an issue when I reach age 50 and draw that pension.





I know some would say to just hang on my current job until 50, but I sincerely hate it. I don't know if I can make it 5 more years in my current field.Econ major, Finance minor and job hunting in my 40s?
There are plenty of jobs you could do with such a degree...accounting, consulting, office management, fundraising, activity coordinator, even CFO. And no, your age really would not matter, though an MBA would be much better to shoot for than a BA if you really want a top director's position.





I worked at a corporate company for 12 years; the first three were good, the next three were ok, and the last six were pretty bad. But I kept myself going by being a freelance musician outside of work, which I loved and didn't care so much about the pay, though when it did come was a great bonus. Then when a lot of people started leaving the company, I decided I'd just put my resume out there to see what I could get and who would want me. It was amazing at how quickly the interviews came, and I had a new job within six months of trying, at a 30% pay increase from my old one, better benefits, and salaried instead of having to worry about punching a clock. Pretty much everything I wanted, except I had to give up a bunch of vacation time.





Trust me, there are people who will hire you at better companies than the one you are at, who will give you the salary you want. All you need to do is network yourself, have a little patience, and not be afraid to try.





At your age, people will actually be more impressed with your going back to school to better your career than concerned about your age. Good luck.Econ major, Finance minor and job hunting in my 40s?
follow your dreams, but use some common sense. Be sure your finances are in line before making a career move. Getting your MBA will help alot too. If you will draw a pension by age 50 then why not try another line of work then knowing you'll be getting that secondary check in a few years? But as I said, make sure your finances are in line. I couldn't imagine working 25-30 or even 40 years in a job I hate. That's life lost IMO
If you want to get a job in ECON/FIN you'll need to up the ante with a Masters Degree... A BA (especially a BA).. isn't going to cut the mustard.





You should get a BS or BSBA and then get a Masters





Without the MBA/Masters in Economics or Finance.. Chances are slim to find a position that will pay you what you currently make.





I hear you on the ';hating your job'; thing. But I'd hang in there

No comments:

Post a Comment